Search This Blog

Tutorials

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Landscape challenge and The Winner!



    Yesterday I finally had a chance to start working on re-creating Split Rock Lighthouse.  We had a landscape challenge in the Learningfa group.  We were to find a landscape photo to make into a small quilt.  Next take the photo and change it to black and white.  By doing this we look more at the values associated with the picture and hopefully don't worry quite so much about trying to make it look exactly like the photo.  Some of us get stuck in the decision stage when making landscapes (definitely me!) and worry too much about color choices.  I am posting my black and white photo along with what I have fused at this point.  Now I need to start adding some thread painting.  I may make the leaves for the trees separate with water soluble stabilizer and lots of thread painting.  I'm afraid if I do the leaves right on the quilt the balance of the stitches will be off and that part of the quilt will cause bumps and creases in the other parts.
     I won a draw on another website the other day!  I was very excited!  The link for the blog is in my list on the left side of the page.  It is Chris's Quilting Universe where I won a book and templates for making a Grandmother's fan quilt.  She has photos on her blog, or I will post a photo here when they arrive.  Thank you Chris!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Your Challenge is looking great Janet. It is interesting isn't it. You picked an interesting picture and I think it will look great. I am so pleased that there is so much interest in this challenge as it is such a good way to deal with color in landscapes. I have the informtion on my blog if anyone else is interested in giving it a try.

I am looking forward to your "make a little fiber book" which will be sent out to the members this weekend. Shirley

Deb said...

Janet..your dipiction of the the light house is just beautiful!! you are very very creative. I love your fabric choices.
Thanks for posting your wonderful comments on my blog. you had no email to thank you so posted it here. Your work is just wonderful I am sure Shirley is just in awe..