Search This Blog

Tutorials

Monday, December 14, 2015

Vintage Vogue Christmas

This post began over 30 some years ago, before kids even!  Wow! I'm getting old!  It all began with a vintage vogue pattern.  Well, it was a new pattern at the time but from what I see on eBay selling as vintage...  My husband and I had just moved to a new state, I wasn't working and didn't know a soul.  It was getting close to Christmas so to fill up my days I bought some patterns.

I made the tree skirt and the wreath.  Somewhere over the years I lost the wreath but we still use the tree skirt.  It is a little bit loved on the edges but lots of fond memories are sewn into those seams.

It is very soft and became a natural attraction for my children over the years.  Finding one or the other with their head snuggling against the soft fabric, gazing up into the tree, lying down with them and enjoying a moment in time is one of many fond memories.  It was often pulled out from under the tree, worn as a skirt, snuggled with on the couch, covered up a pet or used as a super person cape.  I actually used some of the leftover fabric to make a cape in a lame attempt to keep the tree skirt in it's place.  So, when my daughter asked me to make her a tree skirt just like the one we had, I felt so blessed.  Hopefully this means she has some of the same fond memories or even more of her own.  What a compliment!

It took me a little while to find the pattern, but I still had it.  I couldn't find the same green but I like the rich hunter green.  I cut out the six wedges, the six strips for the ruffle, the flap for the Velcro closure, lining and batting.  The bright red and green ribbon were all sold out by the time I went to buy my lace beading and ribbon.  I had this trim at home already and it looks pretty good, adds a little more dimension to the whole skirt.  So, I spent a little time threading the trim into the lace beading.

After sewing the wedges together added the trim.

The next step was sewing the pieces together for the ruffle and adding a small hem before gathering the edge and attaching to the skirt.

Finally the Velcro closure, batting and lining.
I think she liked it.
Here is the other vintage vogue pattern I made over 30 years ago.  It needs a few repairs but still looks good.  She would like this too.  So, that will be for next year.  Always something fun to create here.

Have a creative day,
Janet

No comments: