Search This Blog


Saturday, January 4, 2014

Preparing for the deep freeze!

I don't know about you but when I heard the wind chill was supposed to drop down to -50 to -60 degrees Fahrenheit this coming Monday, I prepared.  First thought was meal planning and grocery shopping so I wouldn't need to go out.  Second was other necessities.  Third was to make sure I had things to do.  

The third is actually ridiculous because I always have plenty of craft materials to keep busy long past my days on this planet.  But, that's where my mind goes and I usually follow along.  Last week I saw a YouTube video from Michael's about making a scarf using your arms for the knitting needles.  (Yes, I said your arms). What better way to prepare for sub zero temperatures than to make a nice warm scarf and the idea behind it fascinated me.  I am not really a knitter, I know how to knit and purl and can actually do a cable stitch if I have to but I am not a knitter.  Somehow this idea called to me.

I stopped at Michael's and bought enough yarn for two scarves. Now the temperature doesn't really get cold until tomorrow afternoon but before breakfast today, I already had one of the scarves finished! It is so fast and easy.  Now granted if you have small children or pets that need to go outside, you may need to make sure you have someone else around to help.  You won't be tied up (literally) for too long.  

I used two skeins of yarn for mine.  I can wind it any number of ways and it is very warm.  The demo video scarf is shorter.  Here it is wrapped around my neck twice and draped over my head.  

Look for Arm Knitting for Beginners by Michael's Stores on YouTube. My computer is broken and I am doing this on my iPad. I haven't figured out how to make a direct link.  I told my son these may be my new calling.  On Christmas Eve I went to the store for a couple of last minute items.  I struck up a conversation with the young man who was gathering up all the carts in the parking lot.  Not a long discussion but long enough to see he was extremely cold.  The wind chill was dipped below zero that day as well.  Wouldn't a scarf like this make a nice surprise for one of those workers?  Or they could be given to the homeless shelter, possibly the food bank, or a women's shelter.  Hmmm, I should have bought a lot more yarn!
Have a creative Day

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Quilting and Shopping

What could be better than quilting and shopping?  Shopping with my daughter and husband at the Restore!  My daughter was looking for an old window frame to repurpose, so we drove to the Restore in St Croix Falls.  They had so many things to look at in the store.  Including this beautiful old sewing machine.  I didn't buy it, which is probably a good thing because it needed a lot of work.  It was gorgeous though. (someone else bought it while I was there, just in case you were thinking about running over to buy it)

I did buy a bag of crocheted items.  I think they are pretty amazing.  They need a little work to fix them up but they aren't in bad shape.

I bought a pair of candle holders too.  Forgot to take a photo of those.  We stopped to look at the falls after and the river sprite.  It is a very pretty town.

There was an artisan show going on across the street from the falls.  One of the artist's selling work was Julie Crabtree from Bratach Sith Fiber Studio.  I really loved her work and discovered she has taught at the Textile Center in Minneapolis in the past.  I will have to watch for her next teaching opportunity.  I also liked the work by Three Sisters Studio.  Check out either or both links to see their work.

In the mean time I have been enjoying family time, Thanksgiving and a birthday.  I made a photo album for my daughter and I have managed to squeeze in a little quilting here and there.  Hopefully, I can finish up this quilt soon and start on the next.  I've discovered the actual quilting shows up better in the photo if I change it to black and white.

And of course I have been watching the neighborhood wildlife.  We are so excited, our white squirrel made it through the summer.  With snow on the way, it should be easier for him to stay hidden now.
Have a Creative Day

Monday, November 11, 2013

Mystery Quilt

My next unfinished project is a mystery quilt I made several years ago in the learning fiber arts group (learningfa).  I finished the class at the time, it was a 52" square.  I liked the design but wasn"t sure how I wanted to complete the quilt, size etc.  So, it went onto my "to be finished later" shelf.  Later has arrived!  Here it is fresh from the shelf, wrinkles and all.

I took the original square and turned it on point.

Added some triangles, to make it once more a square.

Added some borders so it would be a queen size quilt.  Sorry I don't have anywhere large enough to lay out a quilt this size, but you get the idea.

Now I need to plan my quilting, clean and oil my longarm etc. and get busy finishing this quilt.
Have  creative day.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Duffle Bag

My son had a birthday last week.  He has always loved listening to music and really wanted something he could use to listen to all the music on his iphone.  He wanted to be able to take it with him to his friends house.  So, in order to protect it when carrying it back and forth, I made a bag.  It is really big, so I had to make up my own pattern.  It turned out pretty nice.   Hopefully it will hold up to transport.
He liked the door over the phone, and the speaker size.

I added some acryllic in the bottom of the bag for stability.

Can you see the pocket, it is on the inside just below the zipper.
finished bag

Velcro pocket for the remote control

I added piping on the circular ends for more stability.
Have a creative day