Search This Blog

Tutorials

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Folklore: 10,000 Lakes


The theme for Art Quilts Around the World this round was Folklore.  I chose one close to home.  In Minnesota you can find Babe and Paul Bunyan in a number of places.  Their large statues make great photo opps.  I know my family has taken photos by at least one set of statues.

The story goes (depending on which set of tales you read)  Paul was traveling west because he had cut all the trees down on the East Coast.  He found Babe, cold and blue,  in the middle of a snow storm and nursed him back to health.  They both became lost in the storm of the century in Minnesota thus crossing and recrossing the state several times.  In the spring when the snow melted their foot prints filled with the melted snow and that is how we came to be known as the land of 10,000 Lakes.  Here is a link to a Disney story of Paul Bunyan, at the very end they talk about forming the lakes.

I bought the background fabric a number of years ago, I think while I was doing a Minnesota shop hop.  I cut out an outline of the state of Minnesota and fused that to the background.  I created Babe and Paul from bits of fabric and fused them off to the side.  Next I made foot and hoof prints which are also fused. I created a trail with the thread to show their travels.  Finally I made the numbers and letters.  It almost looks like an old fashioned postcard to me.  I had a hard time getting motivated to make this one for some reason but glad I did, I like how it turned out.  

The Art Quilts are approximately 11.5" x 16.5".  Be sure and visit the Art Quilts around the World blog to see what others have created for this challenge.

Have a creative day
Janet

No comments: