Search This Blog

Tutorials

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rust dyed results



Hello,

I finally had that aha moment last night.  I suddenly jump up and say 'Oh no, I forgot my fabric!' I left it in the basement for about a week soaking in the rust and tannin.  Whew!  It looks pretty good. I'm going to join a group of ladies who have a sale a couple of times a year.  This sale is the first week of April.  So, I'm experimenting with what to make that might sale.  I've never done this before so wish me luck.  I tried dyeing a couple of white scarves to see what might happen.  I have three different types of scarves that I ordered from Dharma trading company.  I wanted to have a variety and I plan to use a variety of techniques to finish them.  Some I will use procion dyes, some I plan to use the soy wax batik with dyes or jacquard paint and some I wanted to rust dye.  Here are my two rust dyed scarves as well as a fat quarter that I was going to send for an exchange but will now incorporate into something I make.
The first photo shows my cotton scarf folded in half and taped on the wall to try to get a full shot.  The cotton was interesting.  I didn't think it was going to take any of the tannin or rust when I checked it early in the week.  It is darker on the side that had direct contact with the rusty pieces, so it was more of a surface dye technique with this fabric.  I've never used these scarves before so it will be fun to see how they react with procion dyes.  Next I have a close up of a section of the same scarf.  You can see the difference in the front and back and how it accepted the dye.   
     These next two photos are of a silk scarf.  The first shows the whole scarf.  The second is a close-up of the scarf.  I think it looks pretty good.  Not sure how to decide on prices for any of the things I make.  If anyone has any good advice for that I'd appreciate it.
                                                                                                                                      












Last but not least is my fat quarter of cotton fabric.  This one I sprinkled tea on as well as the tannin and rust.  Not sure if I like what happened with that.  It just looks like funny spots on the fabric.  
     I also received one more postcard yesterday from Jeanelle McCall.  It's my Beat the Winter Blues exchange.  She does such wonderful work in different mediums.  Be sure to check out her website.  Thanks Jeanelle it's gorgeous.  Have a creative day everyone! Janet




No comments: