I decided to enter a quilt in the online quilt festival. I needed to write about my favorite quilt in my blog and link it to the festival. Hope you enjoy the show.
I have two or three quilt's that are my favorites. They were all made within the last two years. I joined Minnesota Contemporary Quilter's about a year and a half ago. I credit joining that group with the spark in my quilting. I really enjoy the no-rules approach to quilting and am having fun learning lot's of techniques and maybe making a few of my own.
The quilt I chose was for last years challenge. Our theme was architexture. I already had a photo of a cottage in Ireland that I wanted to re-create with fabric. The photo had been on my inspiration board for over a year. When I learned about the challenge I knew I had to try to make this quilt, even if I didn't feel it was good enough to enter. I was very nervous about entering something with this group since I was new and there are many accomplished quilter's in this group. I also had no idea how to make this quilt. I made a couple of copies of the photo and left them around the house to keep me thinking about it throughout my day. I enlarged one to eight by ten and used my projecta scope to draw outlines of what I wanted. I decided to do the stones individually so I could add more texture to them and maybe still have my quilt lay flat when I was done. I wasn't quite sure how to make them with the texture I wanted but I just started to play with my fabric and my machine. I think it was one of those middle of the night "Aha" moments when it finally came to me. Do you ever do that? Wake up with a brilliant idea in the middle of the night? Sometimes it works for me and sometimes I wake up in the morning look at the note I wrote myself and wonder 'who wrote that, and what were they thinking!'
I used about six shades of different batiks to make the stones. I wanted to show the changes in color of the rock along with the shadows. It took me awhile to decide on the door fabric but I really like the small stripe that I chose. I added some tulle for the shadow on the door and did a little thread painting. I tried thread painting the door latch but it looked really flat and didn't fit with the rest of the quilt. I was thrilled when I found the latch I used. It's a switch for a miniature train set! It just looked perfect too me.
I had some trouble finishing the edge of the quilt. I cut it first and then added the tiny stripe of red. Well, I wasn't really thinking when I cut it and had trouble getting my little red strip of fabric straight because of the dimension of my stones. Live and learn! Next time think of the whole quilt and finish out to the edge before applying dimensional aspects. I did finish it in time and I did add it to the show. It has been touring with the MCQ exhibit for almost a year now. Should be home pretty soon. I've added my original photo to the
bottom so you can see I did change it a little, cropped it and emphasized some of the color tones, but it's close.
I also want to credit a couple of teachers I had around the time I was making this quilt. Myrna Giesbrecht who taught me to keep going and not listen to what others have to say about what I am making. It was my opinion that mattered for this quilt. I also took a class from Susan Brittingham around this time. I learned how to add the grass at the bottom using her technique. I took classes from both of these teachers at Quilt University.
Have a creative day