Search This Blog

Tutorials

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Tree Project

Wanda in Minnesota Contemporary Quilters came up with a challenge for as many people who wanted to join.  She gave us a basic tree outline.  We needed to create a tree that fit the outline. Next we had to cut our tree into four equal pieces!  Gasp!  I think we ended up with approximately 26 different trees, not sure exactly.

We each kept the piece of our tree that was the bottom left corner.  We put the other three pieces in bags with our name and the part number, so the receiver knew who they were from.  At our meeting we randomly received the other three parts of our tree from three different people.  My pieces are from Sally Neckvatel (upper left), Leah Doherty (upper right), and Sue Kelly (lower right).  Thank you to all three of you, they are beautiful.

Here is my original tree before I cut it apart.
Janet Hartje original tree

Here are the four pieces for my new tree.

Janet Hartje the tree begins
                                       

I added a border, half spring, half fall, since that is what it appeared to me.

Janet Hartje tree with borders
                                       
Now the fun begins, how to make it once again my tree.  I decided it looked like a collision between two separate worlds.  In fact I think I might call it that.  "Two Worlds Collide"
fantasy and reality.

Janet Hartje "Two Worlds Collide"
                                       

All of the tree quilts will be hung together at the Minnesota Quilt Show in June.  I think it will be a fun exhibit and I can't wait to see them all.

Now for the quilting and binding and sleeve and label and ....

Have a Creative Day
Janet

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is super fun to see what you did! Thanks for sharing. Sue K.

Christine Staver said...

What a great idea! You did a great job with it.