Search This Blog

Tutorials

Friday, April 8, 2016

Zippered Small Bag Exchange


I joined the Scrappy Girls Club on Facebook.  So many ideas for using scraps, and I have plenty of those.  Heather Valentine from The Sewing Loft is the originator of this group.  I am gathering that swaps are a big part of this group and I jumped right in and joined the first one that came up.

This swap was for a small zippered bag. It is encouraged but not required to send a little more than a zippered bag.  I hadn't realized that at first and was a little confused by the photos I saw of what people were receiving for the exchange.  I thought maybe there were two different exchanges going on at once.  Once I caught on I really enjoyed watching the many ways people found to use up their scraps.

Many of the gifts were very color coordinated and actually looked like a matched set.  They were true works of art and beauty.  Have to be the first to admit mine look as though they were created by three different people who probably don't even get along.  Such is my life.  I like diversity, I enjoy fun and funky as well as a little more sophisticated and probably everything in between.  Hoping my swap partner likes to change it up too.

I really had fun with this.  I found all the patterns on Pinterest.  So, yes sometimes I actually make some of the things I pin!  Here are links to the patterns.  I must have changed my mind about 20 times trying to decide what to make.  The bonus is now I have lot's of patterns for small zippered bags on my Sewing page on Pinterest.  Expect to see a few more in the future, so many cute bags, not enough hours in a day.
gathered clutch tutorial


Cat eye zippered pouch


cat coin purse  


This tutorial only has photos and you can tell if you look closely she hand stitched the entire bag.  I really like how she did the zipper but since I was sewing mine on the machine I decided to simplify and put the zipper on the back.  If I make it again I might try to do it different but this worked well enough.  I sorted through one of my jars of buttons to find the perfect cat eyes.


I added a small notepad I found at the 'going out of business' Hancock fabrics and a needle threader.  I use my needle threader more and more the older I get.

Have a Creative Day
Janet

No comments: