Search This Blog

Tutorials

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Inspiration for sewing


My mom's sewing machine

My first inspiration!
I was fortunate to grow up in a family that allowed me to explore my creative side.  I probably drove my mom crazy asking for this and that all the time, so I could make something.  She always managed to scrounge up what I needed, even though it couldn't have always been easy for her.  My mom was my first inspiration.  She sewed as often as a mother of eight kids could when I was young.  The outfit I am wearing in this photo was made by my mom.  It was one of my favorites, peddle pushers with a matching top with huge pockets.  I always had to have huge pockets.  She loved to crochet and made many wonderful afghans and Christmas stockings etc.                                     

My mom made my peddle pushers and top
 My second inspiration was my mom's sister.  She would always give us wonderful homemade gifts for Christmas or birthdays.  She like to knit and crochet and had a huge floor loom in her house that always fascinated me.  She encouraged me to create and sent me many patterns.
My second inspiration
 This is one of many things my mom helped me find all the materials to make.  A pop bottle, styrofoam, Dip N Drape, fake fur, acrylic paint, toothpicks.  One of the best things my mom taught me was don't be afraid to try something new.  I wish I had a photo of the clock I made for Christmas time one year.  It was only a cardboard box, felt, noodles, & spray paint but I was so proud of that clock.  Funny how those first creations really stick with you.
Dip 'N Drape doll
 My creative inspiration goes back at least one more generation.  I discovered my grandmother was a haberdasher.  I asked my mom what the story was behind all the crazy hats these women wore.  I know they were the style back than but it seemed like there were an excessive number of hats in the pictures.  Here are a few.
3rd level of inspiration




I learned how to sew on the same Singer my mom used.  It is now mine and I am hoping to have it restored to working condition in the near future.  I began making clothes in junior high and made my first quilt when I was in college.  I like to think I have improved a little since that time but those first creations will always have a special place in my heart.


Have a Creative Day
Janet
ps watch for a post soon about the Minnesota Quilt Show which begins on Wednesday evening this week.

No comments: