Search This Blog

Tutorials

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Project Quilting Seven "Confetti"


I jumped into Project Quilting in it's seventh season!  I just happened on a post for this project a few days ago.  I didn't commit until yesterday and it was due today by noon, so a very quick quilt from start to finish.  It was started from a love of project runway and wanting to interpret it through quilting.  I love project runway although I could do with less of the drama and a little more of the sewing.  So, this seemed like a good fit for me and I need a few challenges in my life.
I pulled these from my stash.  The little green bag was a gift from my sister, I just received it yesterday great timing Jo!  The butterfly was a card I sent to my mom for Mother's Day years ago.  It flew back to me a few years ago and this seemed like a good place for it to rest.  The fabric is mostly leftover from a table runner I made to use for birthday celebrations.  I bought the fabrics because they made me think of confetti and parties.

I machine appliquéd the foreground and hand appliquéd the flower.  

The funky little leaf is some hand dyed velvet I began to piece years ago but didn't like it for what I was making at the time.  I think it makes a perfect leaf.  The stem is a little remnant of silk sari ribbon.

This feels to me more like a folk art piece so hand embroidery felt right.  I recently took a class taught by Laura Wasilowski on Craftsy and this gave me a chance to practice some of her techniques.

I decided the butterfly didn't stand out enough on it's own so added some stitching to it as well.  

The name is "Confetti in the Wild". Hope you like it.


Have a creative day
Janet

No comments: